kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: No problem...more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by ToddM on February 26, 2003 at 21:34:20:

In Reply to: No problem...more posted by AnthonyCaponetto on February 26, 2003 at 10:52:24:

That's great!
Thanks for your help. As soon as I get the cage, and have it setup I'll try and get some photos to see what you all think of it. Eventually it'll have a GTP in it...
Thanks again,
Todd

:The side vent covers come with the cage at no extra charge. The only thing that was extra is the top vent cover ($4.00).

:That's the problem with their website. They don't tell you half of the cool features their cages have. If they did, they'd probably sell twice as many cages.

:I have an ATB in mine, but I would keep a GTP the same way...in fact, when I get more, my GTP will go in one of those.

:Anyway, I would definitely use 3-4" heat tape instead of a UTH, if your setup will allow for it. I just had an extra UTH and didn't have an extra thermostat, so I thought I'd use that. I'd keep the heat tape set to about 92 (if you're measuring temps on the tape itself, not inside the cage), which would give the animal a nice hot spot (I put a slab of corkbark over my UTH) should he/she need to use it when digesting a meal. I use a 40 watt light bulb, which creates a nice basking spot during the day.

:

:

:
::Anthony,
::Thank you for showing me how your cage is set up. I didn't even realize that there are vents in the sides. I'll definately be getting this cage, and I'll also get the optional covers to help keep in humidity. What wattage bulb do you use for the dome light? I'd imagine that being a rather small cage that it wouldn't need to be very high. Also, for an undertank heater do you think a small strip of heat tape would work, or would I be better off getting a regular heat mat? I almost forgot, what temperature do you have the undertank heater set to? I'm just thinking since heat rises that it wouldn't have to be very high but am curious as to what setting you have it on.
::Thanks again for the photos and description of your cage, I appreciate it,
::Todd

:::I have that same cage. Not only does the top have a vent, the sides have vents too. The side vents are adjustable, and the for $4, you can get a cover for the top.

:::With the optional vent cover included, it cost $120 shipped...and I have to say that this cage is AWESOME for controlling the humidity.

:::I heat mine with an undertank heater 24 hours per day, and have the 5.5" dome light on for 12 hours or so per day.

:::Here's the top, without the cover
:::

:::Here's the top, with the cover, before I cut the hole in it.

:::Here's the top, with the cover, after I cut the hole in it.

:::Here's the top, with the cover, after I cut the hole in it, with the dome lamp inserted.

:::Here's one of the adjustable side vents. These are great for controlling ventilation/humidity.

:::Here it is now, sitting atop one of my racks.

::::I'm thinking of getting a GTP and am wondering what the best way of heating the Barrs 20x20x20 cage would be?? The ventilation is in the top so I'm wondering what everyone else here would (or does) use with this cage??
::::Thanks for your time,
::::Todd

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]