kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Arboreal cages for GTPs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by PhoenixZorn on February 20, 2003 at 15:24:59:

In Reply to: Arboreal cages for GTPs posted by deathstalker on February 18, 2003 at 23:35:13:

If you'd like a cage built, it can be arranged. I have found that vision cages, or at least their arboreal ones, can't hold a candle to a custom built cage. A true arboreal cage... if you want it to be a display cage should be 2/3 taller than it is wide. So if you have a 4 foot long floor space, the cage should be 6 feet long. This also allows for REAL vegetation like trees, and allows more room for the animal to move. If you were a water dragon keeper, and you went out and bought a Vision cage because it said arboreal, you'd be shot. I don't think Vision has the capacity to make a true arboreal cage.

:Hello. My name is T.J., and I am from MA. Very soon I will be pursuing to obtain a pair of GTPs (of any race) or (Surinam/Guyana) ETBs and just wanted to know what you all think are the best arboreal cages for these snakes: Vision, homemade, etc., and what is--or are--the best type(s) of wood to use for horizontal branching (e.g., driftwood, grape wood, manzanita, etc.)?

:

:On the Vision cages, is the arboreal model V222 really suitable for an adult GTP, or even a pair? (I understand it is preferable that pairs be kept separate for best breeding results.) I suppose it's perfect in every aspect and need except that by the book, Tree Boas and Tree Pythons, by Tom Mazorlig(?), the cage should be a minimum of 2/2/4 ft (W/D/H), and the V222 is only 28/24/24 in. (W/D/H). Is this still suitable for at least one specimen of a GTP? Or how about the V433 model for a pair, or at least one? And on the Vision cages, how do you make, or stabalize, horizontal branches? (Remember to suggest the best type(s) of wood! :)

:

:If any of you have better suggestions for cage choice, though, please share...it will be greatly appreciated!

:

:Thank you,

:

:T.J. Gould
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]