kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Nebie Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by Brandon Osborne on January 14, 2003 at 19:46:16:

In Reply to: Nebie Help posted by Viper22 on January 14, 2003 at 15:59:40:

:Yeah i will have my first ever Green Tre Python in about the next month. I was wondering if maybe this setup would be ok fopr a neonate. I was thinking maybe a 10 gallon tank with a nice branch going all the way across or pve pipe going all the way across for a perch then a waterbowl below the perch. The substrate i was thinking of using was ReptiBark. This would only be a temporary enclosure for maybe a month or two. I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

I would suggest spending a little more money, and get something VERY well started. Neonates, even if they are feeding for those you are buying from, can cause unbelievable stress to not only the snake, but to you also. If you do go with a neo, get one that has fed at least 10 or more times. The more the better.

With that said.......a ten gal. would hold a chondro well into it's second or third birthday. In my experience, large cages(relative to the size of the chondro) tend to stress the animals, and they will often hide under the substrate and cease feeding. I have a two year female I produced in 2001, that still likes her 15qt. Sterlite.....and she is at least 3' long.

The drawbacks to aquariums are, they don't hold heat well, and with an animals that needs good ventilation, they tend to dry out rather quickly......especially with a screen top. If you can make up for the loss of humidity, it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the substrate, I still choose the ugly old newsprint. It's cheap and clean. In my experience, some of the bark type substrates can grow mold rather quickly, even if it's not dirty. The best natural substrate I've used would be cypress mulch. It hold humidity well, doesn't mold, and is very cheap.

Always buy captive bred animals. The problems associated with imports outway the good. Many people can attest to this.

Good luck.
Brandon Osborne

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]