kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Problem Feeder

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by Brandon Osborne on December 06, 2002 at 00:34:27:

In Reply to: Re: Problem Feeder posted by Mancuso on December 05, 2002 at 00:31:39:

:I am so out of ideas. This snake is a plump juvenile and she was obviously eating very well for Rico, but not for me. My setup seems fine, temps are OK, but she will not strike. I annoyed her so much tonight that I'm sure any other snake would strike. She seems so passive during feeding time and when I annoy her she just moves to another perch. I am very very frustrated right now, what do you guys think I should do? It's nearing 2 months of refusing and I havent been too worried for a while because of her girth, but she needs to eat soon. No "tricks" seem to do anything so I assume something must be wrong with my set-up, but what? She is in a 15 quart, in a rack system (maybe its a problem that the heat comes from the bottom?) with paper towel as substrate, plastic perches, and a water bowel. Any problems? I'm not just looking for help with feeding, I will continue to try, but I need suggestions on what I should do. Should I try to get a refund? Should I try to get another snake from the breeder? I just want whats best for the snake. I'm not new to tree pythons and I am baffled by this snake, and the fact thats it's not a neonate renders many of the "tricks" useless.
:

I would contact Rico just to let him know what's going on. He may have a better history of the snake, and may be able to lend a few ideas.

How big is the snake. You may try a small setup. I have a couple of chondros that are aroung 3' that are still in the 12qt. sterlites. If I put them in larger cages, they refuse to eat, and hide under the paper. It may just be stressed out a little. Leave it be for about a week and try leaving a live fuzzy in the cage overnight. Just be sure to contact Rico and let him know the situation.

If it's a male, over 16 months, he may just be fasting for the winter, which is typical. I have a male that refuses to feed from september until april if he doesn't get a woman. He's proven twice and this year is his second. The first time was in 2000. My female ovulated in Feb. of 2001 and he ate within a couple days of her ovulating. Again, this year, she ovulated monday and he ate last night for the first time since september. Keep us posted.

Brandon Osborne

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]