kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Water Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: GTP???????????????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by orthopode on November 27, 2002 at 12:37:27:

In Reply to: GTP??????????????? posted by Maxwell The BD on November 25, 2002 at 14:43:52:

I think that all the previous posts have very good points...here are my 2 cents.
These are 2, very different snakes that have very different needs. Besides their good look, you really need to ask yourself why you would want them. A good part of keeping GTP is also IMO the challenge of providing them with the best environment possible. Being arboreal, nocturnal, more delicate and easily stressed, it is a whole different ballgame but that's also why I love them...If cost is a concern to you, you have to realize that not only the GTP cost 2 or 3 times as much, you have to spend a fair amount in the setup also...It is true that if you have an adequate set up and you are able to provide adequate conditions to your GTP they are relatively easy to keep (as long as they are healthy). If anything goes wrong however it can become an expensive and disappointing ordeal. Unlike ball, they do not tolerate climatic changes (humidity, heat, draft, power failure, heater breakdown...) very well. Once sick, I believe that you have more chances of curring a ball than a GTP.
Almost all balls are mellow and easy to handle and probably most GTP are also relatively tame...once in a while one will try to nail you and a few of them cannot be handled without thick gloves and a dose of craziness...you need to be aware of it because it may be yours...
If you can't decide between GTP and ball...have you considered an alternative? the jungle carpet python has in my opinion a little bit of both...regardless of your choice, don't get caught unprepared, know exactly what you are getting yourself into before you commit...Good luck in your quest!!!
Noel

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]