kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: GTP's breeding.............long

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by Brandon Osborne on November 13, 2002 at 12:22:27:

In Reply to: GTP's breeding posted by Guy on November 13, 2002 at 05:03:07:

:These two went at it last time i put them together but to no result, so I'm wondering how one gets eggs from the female following such encounters. I placed the nest box in the females cage with moist moss, she seemed to like it, as she hung out in the box for quite some time, yet no eggs. She seems to be cycling as she does go through phases of plumpness not associated with food.Alas, I'm not quite sure at what stage of this cycle is best to expose her to the male. This time they got to breeding within minutes, did so for a day and a half, took a break and are back at it now(another day so far). Last time they went at it for about 4 days straight, at least every time I checked they were coupled so to speak. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'd love to raise some babies!
: Thanks

: Guy

Guy,

I have a few questions. Are you seperating your pair after successful copulation occurs? What temps are you going by to stimulate breeding activity? Are you still feeding your female?

Temps in the mid to upper 60's along with a boost in humidity, or a good rain shower, will certainly get them going. If your pair has already locked up several times that is a good sign you could get eggs. Try to reach a DTH of about 80-84 f. I try to hit the lower end of the spectrum, but temp spikes happen.

When the females ovulates, you will notice a large mid-body swelling that looks like she just ate a large meal. This usually lasts 24-48 hours, but can be hard to diagnos for the inexperienced,,,,with chondros that is. Once your female ovulates, males typically lose interest in breeding and get back on their own schedule of feeding. At this time, the female usually will stop feeding. They usually go through a pre-lay shed about 10-21 days before egg deposition. Once she has ovulated, she will need a basking spot with temps of 88-90.

For the nest box.....REMOVE THE MOIST MOSS!!!! This will kill any eggs she lays quickly. Fill the next with dry sphagnum moss or similar material. If you are worried about keeping the humidity up for incubation, take a look at the pic of what I did. With a 16 oz. deli-cup, punch holes all over, fill with wet sphagnum, and place inside the next box. This will increase humidity within the box without exposing the eggs to moisture. A few other tips I have learned....hanging a wet towel over a pearch, but be sure to replace it frequently......place a rubbermade with soppy wet cypress on the cage floor. I also use several live plants for added oxygen and humidity. Spray the cage, not the nest box, as needed. With the female on eggs, I keep ambient temps at 83-84 f and spray the cage and plants twice per day. I use this temp, as most clutches are incubated at around 85-86f in the beginning of incubation. After 10 days, I bump the temps up to 85f. Females are capable of raising their body temps very well, but this will lessen her work.

Keep putting the two together until no interest is shown between the two. Good luck and keep us posted.

Brandon Osborne

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]