kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: 12 to 16

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by chrish on April 10, 2003 at 01:31:48:

In Reply to: Re: 12 to 16 posted by Tar_x_6 on April 09, 2003 at 22:31:10:

:A female burmese can get between 20 and 30 feet (not more then 25 mostly) and over 300lb,

There are many hundreds (thousands?) of burms in captivity and only a handful of the largest females ever reach 20 feet, most max out smaller than that. I'm not sure where you got these data, but they aren't a very realistic reflection of the probabilities. Most female burms are in the 12-16 foot range.

and some people keep them in 6' by 3' cages.

Keeping a 20 foot+, 300lb snake in a 6x3 foot cage should qualify as animal abuse. A snake that size needs a much larger cage. 10 x 5 might be passable, but still kind of small.

I defiantly don't agree with that but I'm confident a 12 to 16' snake will be comfortable in a cage like that.

A good general rule of thumb is to allow a cage whose width + length is equal to the snake's length. For a heavy bodied snake, you need to increase the dimensions.

I remember reading about a boa that gets to 14' but cant remember witch one it was, and there's so many boa's that all look so similar, now I have them all confused:)

The only boas that approach this size are some of the largest South American Boa constrictors (and most of those won't get that big) and possibly the largest Cuban Boas ever recorded.
There are several slender pythons that attain this size (12 ft), such as Olive Pythons, some of the Amethystine Pythons (and related species), and some of the larger Carpet Pythons. Of course, there are several races of retics that don't get much larger than 16 feet, either.

But honestly, it sounds to me like you aren't prepared to house a snake in the 12+ foot range. A 6x3 foot cage really isn't big enough. Yes, some people do this, and some people house 5-6 foot rat snakes in 10 gallon aquaria as well. That doesn't make in humane.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]