kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Question for the people who keep small snakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by hotshot on February 06, 2003 at 14:34:21:

In Reply to: Question for the people who keep small snakes posted by Langi on February 06, 2003 at 12:47:19:

What size of snake are you looking for?
If you have kept corns for a while, then you probably would be okay with a milk. You could get one of the smaller milks; pueblan, sinaloan, or mexican. Or if you wanted one that was a little bigger, you could go for a honduran. They get fairly big though. The only drawback with milks, is that they dont settle down like a corn does. They are alot more shy and fidgety, and squirm alot when held. Plus they have a tendency to musk when first pulled from a tank. Milks are some very pretty snakes, but need more work than a corn. The only exception is the honduran and black milks. Once they get close to adulthood, these two will usually calm down, and make nice pets. The only drawback for the black milk, is the price. These are a pricey snake, but a beautiful snake when it reaches adulthood. But this may be bigger than you would want in a snake.

You could also get a king snake or even a rat snake.
The Arizona king looks kind of like a milk if you like the black/red/yellow or white colors of milks. Most kings are pretty laid back, but are aggressive feeders.
Rat snakes are starting to become alot more popular, and there are lots more colors and morphs available. Plus rat snakes are a low maintenance snake and they are very hardy. They calm down with handling, and the black rats and gray rats probably calm down the most. If you dont mind a nippy, aggressive snake, the texas rat snake is a very nice rat snake. They have the tendency to bite though, and if you are not ready for such a snake, I would steer clear until you feel confident enough for one of these. Most of these snakes, however get bigger than a corn, for the most part. The black rat snake has been recorded up to 101", but that is the upper limit. Most are around 5' to 6' foot at adulthood.
These are just my picks, and Im sure someone can give you additional ideas. I am kind of biased towards the colubrids, as these are my favorite snakes, especially the American rat snakes and Kings. Good luck on your selection and let us know what you decide to go with.
Brian

:Well right now I have two corn snakes and I would like to get another kind of snake. I was thinking of getting a milk snake but I want to know what is the best kind of snake (besides corns) for some one who is still new to herps. Thanks alots everyone.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]