kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Regurgitation question...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by glenn bartley on January 24, 2003 at 21:27:57:

In Reply to: Re: Regurgitation question... posted by Marwhal on January 24, 2003 at 05:29:51:

"This is a captive bred southern pine snake. I bought her from a reputable breeder who shipped her from a very different climate.(It is currently ten below here in Illinois) She is about three feet long. As far as being healthy when I got her, this is just my opinion from what she looked like and the fact that she pooped on the first day. She is on a twelve hour light cycle. Temps are 80 and 70 with a hot spot of about 84. (She shares a heater with a brooksi enclosure adjacent to her own, the brooksi is thriving under basically identical conditions). I do handle her everyday but not between mentioned feedings and gurging. I have fed live adult mice. The first feeding was just one followed by another 5 or 6 days later (i'm not sure exactly, i don't have my records with me.) She had a BAD shed (her second with me(shed, not bad shed, first one was fine)) and I found all her hide boxes turned over, she was hissing and striking (only time so far). Both previous meals were gurged this time. I waited a few days (three i think) and then fed her 2 adult mice in one feeding. I wouldn't think this would be too large a meal for a snake her size. Hopefully this is enough info for you. I was kind of hoping you would respond to this Glenn. You are and always will be "The voice of reason" here on Kingsnake. Thanks"

If the temps were that different where you are (brrrr) then it is possible this snake caught a chill and it led to an infection in the gastric system. If that could be the case then crank up that hot spot temp to about 100. When I have kept Gophers, and Pines I have had a hot spot at about 90-95. Do you think 84 may be too low. And is it possible that the hot area is not large enough to sprerad out enough of the heat, since the heater is shared with another tank.

If it stayed warm in shipping, then it is possible that two mice are too much, especially if they are bigger ones.

Of course the snake could be stressed out too. The hideboxes overturned and such could be a clue to that along with the hissing. Your handling this snake and possibly just being close to look at it after feedings may also be stressing it too much. I realize you are not handling it directly after feeding but if this snake is not used to a lot f movement tha could be it. It is also possible that the other snake is stressing it.

As for the bad shed thing, what does that mean? I have had snaskes eat right before a shed and then regurgitate right after the shed; but that was it. Now I don't feed near a shed. As for BAD shed as you call it, that could mean lots of things, maybe if you describe it more someone else may get a clue. It seems rather a quick time for the snake to shed so soon again, that is if I remember right and you have not had it all that long.

The continued upchucking though sure sounds problematic just by itself. In combination with a bad shed, I imagine this could be indicative of another problem, but not knowing what caused the sp ca;;ed bad shed I would not have a clue. I am not a vet by a long shot but they could be related I guess.

Sorry I am not of much help.

Good luck,
Glenn B

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]