kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: please help! green snake still not eating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by glenn bartley on January 22, 2003 at 17:25:07:

In Reply to: Re: please help! green snake still not eating posted by snakebait on January 22, 2003 at 11:21:33:

I can only guess, but my guess would be that the snake may be in the brumation mode. You say you had it for about 2 months now and tried to brumate it but it stayed active. The temps were probably too high but maybe low enough to cause it to go off feeding, that is along with diminished natural lighting at this time of the year (if you live in the USA). As for the temps you have it at now, my guess again is that they are off - too cool. I have kept Smooth Green Snakes at up to 85 at the warmer end (ambient air temp) with a heat pad temp of 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit. Sure they can be kept cooler, but a temp raise for this guy may help after a few days.

I also have to wonder about the shop where you bought the snake. Did you see it eating while at the shop when you made the purchase? Lots of people say they are feeding before a buyer lays down the cash, and well, then the buyer finds out it is a problem feeder.

If the snake was actually eating then maybe it got a chill on the way to your place, or maybe it is parasitized. If it was looking very healthy when you bought it weight wise, but now visibly appears to have lost a lot of weight I would tend to think it has a parasite load. Granted these snakes eat pretty often, and it would probably appear to lose some weight over two months, but if otherwise healthy, I would not think it would show the effects you have noted.

You can, of course, take this snake to a qualified veterinarian as soon as possible. A vet would probably need a fresh fecal sample to check for parasites, but I understand this may be impossible since the snake is not eating. Another option is: You can try force feeding it. A fresh dead cricket would probably go down pretty easily, a meal worm would be easier too as would a wax worm. If you do that and it keeps it down for about 2 or 3 days, you may want to try this a few more times, maybe with two insects for the second such feeding, to see if the snake improves any. If no improvement, you need to decide if you have to take it to a vet. Instead of direct force feeding you can also try assist feeding, where you get the food item started into the snakes mouth, let the snake calm down, hold the food item there calmly for about another half a minute or so, and then release the snake to see if it will continue to eat it on its own. These choices are yours to make. I know of people trying to shotgun treat possibly parasitized snakes without a trip to the vet. I understand that Panacur will rid many parasites (but not all) and is supposedly fairly safe. I am not advocating that you use this without a prescription from a vet if one is required. I never advocate violating the law. Treating with Panacur is a decision you have to make, I am only pointing out some options. If you decide to do such you may want to check on the legality of treating the animal without a vet. Many stores in SOME states have Panacur available (usually for livestock) without a prescription – so such may be legal in your state; but you need to check on this. Just in case you are under 18, this is a decision that an adult should be making. If you do force feed and/or treat this snake with Panacur, I would suggest raising the temps to 85 at the warm end with the temp on the tank bottom (directly above the heater) at 90 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. By the way, Panacur can be given by coating a food item with it, according to references I have seen/heard. I am no veterinary expert, and have to again point out I am not giving veterinary advice but am simply pointing out some options you may want to carefully consider.

As for euthanasia, this snake does not sound that far-gone. I can understand the other poster’s concern and rather frank and direct answer to you on this subject. I was in fact wondering if you were trolling; but now think you are serious. I have, on rare occasion, euthanized animals before, I see no reason to pay a vet to do so but; believe me, the animals were in a lot worse shape than what you seem to be describing.

Good luck.,
Glenn Bartley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]