kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Opinions on crossing two different subspecies....Must Read!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by Herpeton on January 17, 2003 at 12:01:51:

Hey everyone

I was wanting to know some opinions on breeding two different milksnake subspecies together? Example: L.t.sinaloae -X- L.t. nelsoni.

Here's mine...

Personally I don't agree with it at all. All you are doing is polluting the precious herp hobby. People need to stop and think about any breeding project long before they start. They need to ask themselves what do they want to get out of it. The breeder would not be able to truthfully sell the offspring under either of the parents' name. They would be mutts or inbreds in my eyes. Of course, I admit, some of the young would probably be quite pretty, but others are likely to become just plan ugly. Think what the hobby would be like if every breeder preformed the same process. In ten, twenty years there would be 1 species of serpent.
I've been wanting to confront this subject for a while now, and the March issue of REPTILES delt with the same subject. I agree with the author's, Jerry Walls, opinion towards the situation. He also said in there that interbreeding isn't a good idea at all. He (and I) say that the offspring would be more subject to snake health problems and stuff.
All I'm saying is...Please keep all herps in their real, pure form. They are perfect the way they are. Just because they can/will breed together, doesn't mean they should be.

~Herpteton

Now let me here from someone else...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]