kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Learning to probe snakes?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by glenn bartley on January 15, 2003 at 08:02:54:

In Reply to: Learning to probe snakes? posted by JoeLansing on January 14, 2003 at 18:21:28:

: How does one learn such an art? There's only one good reptile vet in the area, and 1-2 other people around here that I'd trust to probe a snake. Is it easy? hard? safe? dangeous? I want to learn, but not hurt anything! - Joe

In my opinion:

Probing a snake is not an art. If that is what you think, don't ever probe a snake because use of artistic license may result in quite an injury to the snake. Probing a snake is more a scientific technique, and that technique needs to be followed time and time again.

Probing is not usually difficult when done correctly. Learning how to probe is usually something you need someone else's help with, as it is usualy a two person operation. One of the best places to learn about probing would be at a local herp society, or at a herp show. At either, try to locate a long time snake breeder. They usually can show you how to probe, and after a few attempts you would be able to practice on your own (always remembering to have some else at hand to help hold the snake immobile while you probe). Before you ask someone to show you how to do it, read up on it in a few books about snake breeding. You can also check on-line; someone out there has a short video clip on their site about how to do it - sorry I do not have the link.

As I said, in my opinion, it is usually easy although some species like Ball Pythons can sometimes make it harder. Picking the correct size of probe is often the hardest thing that you have to do. Probe size will vary based upon various determinents such as: species, size of snake being probed, attributes of the individual snake being probed.

As for it being safe or dangerous, I believe it is quite safe when done correctly. Of course, it has the potential to do harm to the snake if you don't do it correctly. For instance if you apply to much pressure with a probe you could damage a male's hemipenes or could push through the pocket in a female causing tissue damage. It is important to use the correct sized probe and to exert only the necessary pressure on the probe. Some people believe Ball Tipped probes are safer. In my opinion, I believe either Ball Tipped or straight probes are fine. A 4 probe set is often sufficient for most of the snakes you would be likely to probe, but I recommend a 6 probe set. In addition to a probe set, you would need lubricant such as K-Y Jell, and disinfectant alcohol (which is about 90% alcohol as opposed to rubbing alcohol which is only about 70% alcohol) to clean the probes before and after use, and a case in which to keep the probes.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Glenn Bartley

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]