kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Male and female plated lizard pics...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Lizard Forum ]

Posted by peregrinefalcon on April 16, 2003 at 17:50:23:

In Reply to: Re: Sudan plated lizard posted by Sudan_Plated on April 15, 2003 at 07:29:25:

Female...

and male...

Notice the "comb" is longer in the male then in the female. Keep in mind these are not the same species, the top one is a giant plated (Gerrhosaurus validus) and the bottom one is a four-lined plated (Zonosaurus quadrilineatus). This method can be used for almost all plateds but do not think this is a rule, males can also have small pores and females have long ones etc. But it is more common for the male's to be longer. And no I don't have a pair and haven't bred any yet, though I hope to in the future!
Adam

:Yes, some pics would be nice thanks. Do you have a male and a female? Any luck on breeding? I heard that is quite hard to breed these reptiles and that most of the ones that are bought in pet stores are caught straight from the wild.
:Thanks:
:Glenn

:

::Males have what looks like a comb of femoral pores behind each back leg, the female's are smaller or absent. The pores are the same as in giant plated lizards, I can show you a pic of my female's pores if you want.
::Adam

:::Hi everybody!
::: Anyone know how to tell the difference between male\female sudan plated lizard? Anybody else have one?

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Lizard Forum ]