kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I keep them

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Lizard Forum ]

Posted by 59herps on January 25, 2003 at 21:57:35:

In Reply to: Re: I keep them posted by buddy1900 on January 25, 2003 at 20:52:55:

Blue spiny lizards if you are reffering to Sceloporus cyanogenys
have a 6-8 year lifespan. I think emerald swifts can also live 6 years but am not certain. They are common but most petstores don't have them because they are no where near as vividly colored as a male emerald swift. They get between 7 and 14 inches. Due to the larger size they give birth to 14 or so babies. They should have the same temperment as emerals but their care is different. Emeralds are rainforest lizards while blue spiny lizards are desert lizards.
Night,
Devlin

:Whoah! Thanks for the information. Cool lizard but it doesn't look like my thing. I'm already distraught over my Emerald's 3-4 year lifespan. (He's 3.) I hate to keep this thread going but I have another question for ya. What about Blue Spiny lizards? I hear they are common in the pet trade but I don't see them much. Do they have the same temperament as my Emerald? They look much alike just bigger. When I lose my Emerald I'm looking to get a pair of Blue Spiny lizards. Good pets?

:Mike

:
::A average lifespan in captivity is about 7-8 weeks. Mine are over a year now and they should live for another 8 years. I don't think anyone really knows whats naturally old for them because there isn't enough animals that survive to find out.
:: Devlin

:::Yikes! Ok, you scared me. I had heard that they were only for the greatly experienced. I'm mildly experienced and was genuinly considering getting a couple. But I don't want anything to die prematurly in my care. What is the general lifespan with draco's anyway though?

:::Mike

:::
::::They are not the best lizard and you NEED a good deal of lizard experiance especially with aboreal agamids before you should get them. They are cool little lizards though, but 99.9% die in captivity prematurally. E-mail me if you want a care sheet I wrote or anymore info.
:::: Devlin

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Lizard Forum ]