kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Israeli dune geckos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Gecko Forum ]

Posted by keats/* on April 25, 2003 at 16:22:53:

In Reply to: Israeli dune geckos posted by dancetoday on April 20, 2003 at 17:06:31:

I have 5 CB ones and they are a blast! My guys are about 3.5"-4" svt with the females currently being a bit larger than the males. They are quite charming and fun to watch. I'm finding them easy to keep and happy little eaters as well. They have a wonderful chirping call.

I currently have them in a 10 gallon tank with a small UTH pad at one end and bulb on during the day. I have them on a nice high quality reptile sand (they will ingest the sand so sharp or coarse stuff is problematic and walnut shell substrate is a no-no for these guys.) I've got about 2" of sand and then have scattered nice light pieces of cork bark on the surface. These guys are big time diggers so they will tunnel under everything--it's really important to nail down the cage furnishings so they don't collapse on the little guys.

One piece in my tank that keep the shallow water dish from being buried by their nighly digging is not only weighted but sits directly on the glass bottom of the tank.

Here is picture of their tank:

Finally in terms of water and food. I heavily spray the sides of the tank at night and they lick water droplets off the sides (they also make use of the waterbowl, but it took several weeks for them to get used to this and I still spray.) They eat heartily every evening--either pinhead crickets or small sized fresh molted mealworms. I calcium dust the food each feeding.

They are small and I am careful around them. My guys are CB and not shy around me and that makes them a pleasure to work with.

best,

keats

:Does anyone have any experience with Israeli dune geckos like Reptile Depot is selling. They are Stenodactylus. Are they pretty fragile? If they are bought WC and haven't been treated for parasites, is it likely there will be a high mortality rate? One post in this forum from past years recommended housing them 2.4, do you know why this would be? The care sheet I found said not to put males together so I wonder why the two males. Thanks for any information. -Lucy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Gecko Forum ]