kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Loren

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Gecko Forum ]

Posted by GECKOS UNLIMITED on April 15, 2003 at 18:54:18:

In Reply to: Could you fund my research on breeders and keepers? LOL posted by Pennebaker on April 15, 2003 at 02:40:50:

Loren,

Please don't quote me out of context. I said breeders and keepers that I KNOW. I work with geckos because I am intrigued and fascinated by them. I sell them on the Internet to fund my "passion" (i.e. new geckos, crickets, enclosures, etc.). You made a personal stab at me, which was entirely inappropriate. I have researched, bred, and photographed geckos for half of my life, and their well-being is most important. Please be assured that the keepers and breeders that I know are concerned about the health of their geckos over the bottom line. This is not my career, so I don't have to worry about production of my animals. I prefer to keep a large portion of the progeny for captive husbandry research.

Of course I'm a little jaded. Mediocrity abounds in this "hobby", and I make sure that people know that my opinions are just that. We have lost some of the pioneers of gecko husbandry (Carl Lerner, Jeff Nunan, etc.) due to the evils of the industry. Do you really believe that gecko keepers are not interested in breeding? Since you sell geckos via the Internet, you should know that most gecko keepers want to eventually breed their geckos. Yes, my care sheets are made with the breeder in mind, and I believe that is no less noble.

How do you know that P. rangei prefer to have a deeper substrate in captivity? It sounds like both of us are having success with them. There is no need to patronize me. Yes, it is more convenient for me when searching for eggs, and the health of the geckos is not suffering, which seems to be your point.

I keep the cool end of the enclosure moist, and the sand on the warmer end remains dry. They are able to easily thermoregulate and can choose various humidity ranges. You repeat that the geckos "prefer" your set-up as opposed to mine. How do you know this when the P. rangei in my collection are healthy?

There is nothing wrong with "spartan style of enclosure[s]", and I do keep many geckos in naturalistic set-ups. So, you don't keep any of your reptiles on paper towels, newspaper, or something similar?

Like I mentioned earlier, most gecko keepers are interested in breeding, and there is nothing wrong with that. How many individuals buy only one gecko from you? If they do, they will eventually become interested in breeding the gecko. Just read the posts on any forum.

Your P. rangei lay in the same general area? Wow! My P. rangei lay all over the enclosure, and I too use a brush ;).

You questioned my compassion, so I had to respond to you. You avoid conflict? That's funny! You bashed me, remember? I am simply responding to your post. Why didn't you e-mail this post to me? It only seems fair that I respond to you.

Nathan Hall

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Gecko Forum ]