kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: DIY Terrarium Fogger [Pics]

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Gecko Forum ]

Posted by HoWheels on January 22, 2003 at 12:38:58:

In Reply to: Re: DIY Terrarium Fogger [Pics] posted by SoBeK on January 21, 2003 at 23:19:50:

I barely ever need to mist any more. The fogger puts a nice dew on everything in the enclosure.

Every once in a while if I eyeball the humidity and notice it's a notch down, I'll give a few squirts, but it's usually necessary no more than once every few days at the most.

BTW, another idea for the fogger you might want to use if you're thinking about making one of these ... is running the air line (from the pump) below the surface of the water, and attaching an aquarium difuser stone at the end of the tube. Could be a cheap solution to get just a touch bit more humidity! However, this might lower the pressure somewhat, and reduce the amount of fog you get into your enclosure.

And speaking of varying the amount of fog in the enclosure, here's a few more design considerations. First of all, obviously, the more power you have (pump) the more fog you will have in your enclosure. My pump was one of the strongest they had at Petsmart, but even then, if I blow through the intake tube with my mouth, I'm able to completely fill the enclosure with fog within seconds, so much so that you can barely even see into it!
The length of tubing between the water container and your enclosure will make a difference. The shorter the tubing, the more fog. Also having the water container on the same level (or higher) than the enclosure will increase the fog. The lower the water container is from the enclosure, the harder the pump will have to work to move the fog upward.
The size of the "exhaust" tubing will effect the fog. The larger the diameter of the tubing, more fog you will have in your enclosure. Now, before I get myself into any trouble with the physics nerds, to be more specific, this is actually more on a bell curve. You can have "too large" of an exhaust tubing. For my application, I found that the 2 3/4" tubes work great. However, perhaps if you have a larger enclosure, and you have a more powerful pump, you may find even 4 or 5 3/4" tubes to suit you better. You may find, however, that a 100-gallon-rated air pump may produce fog optimally with 2 3/4" exhaust tubes while it will actually produce much less fog with 5 tubes. There will be a significan drop in pressure with the added volume of exhaust passages, and the small air pump will not be able to force the fog out of the container.
And finally, as I mentioned briefly before, the water level relative to the mist maker will make a difference on how much fog there is. The device just starts to make fog when there is about 5" of water on top of it, and the amount of fog produced gradually increases as the water level drops. The amount actually increases logarhythmically, so much so that it produces about 10x as much fog with 1/2" water above the mist maker as it does with 2" above the mist maker.

-Matt

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Gecko Forum ]