return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Chinese Alligator (Alligator Sinensis)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator & Crocodilian Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aatrox on January 09, 1999 at 08:22:58:

In Reply to: Re: Chinese Alligator (Alligator Sinensis) posted by Seth on January 09, 1999 at 01:56:48:

: : Who is currently breeding the Chinese Alligator? Have you ever seen one offered for sale?

: Few and far between. You need a permit.

You also need a permit to keep or breed the Galopagus Tortoise, the Radiated Tortoise, the Eastern Indigo Snakes, and several speciese of Iquana; but you have no problem finding breeders, permits are not hard to get if you have the proper set-up, and you frequently see them on price list for sale at offordable prices. It almost appeares as if the more presiouse the reptile the more professionals are interested in trying to breed for preservation of the species. I feel that the same zoo's that limit the number of hatchlings as almost to keep the reptile endangered should be the one's to offer the excess to the hobbyest for a chance to breed for study. I have heard from very reliable sources that reptile's on the verge of extinction such as the Kamodoe Dragon are only allowed so many babies a year; If the number of hatchlings out numbers the amount allowed, the zoo will freeze the remaining babies rather than offer them for sale to a qualified breeder that could be capable of obtaining a permit. Please forgive my spelling, for I was up all night.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator & Crocodilian Forum ] [ FAQ ]