kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

12 foot gator

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Ravenspirit on May 04, 2003 at 12:10:42:

In Reply to: 12 foot gator posted by jamesag on May 04, 2003 at 11:38:19:

Well, depends - For me, I make sure that I dont take in any animals that get 12 feet long.

I do have an alligator, and several caiman. My alligator is a female, and is currently a little over 5 feet. "Maximum size" for a female gator, I believe, is somewhere around 9 feet. Judgeing from her current and past growth history, I expect her to get around 6, maybe 6.5 feet as a "full grown" animal, but, you never know - My largest caiman, a male, is just under 6 feet, and hasnt grown much in over a year. Thats not to say he couldn't grow more. The rest of the caiman i keep are all females. I really dont expect any of the crocodilians in my collection to get over 7 feet in length. I have a large pen set up in my bedroom for the larger 3 animals, and the smaller 2 caiman live in an attached smaller pen.

Eventually, Im pretty sure the alligator will outgrow her caiman companions, and will need a pen of her own - I will probably just give her free run of my art studio.Then I could move the smaller 2 caiman, in with the larger 2.

Then again, I may just be moveing to a larger place in the not to distant futre, so, Then I will have to make an all new pens

Raven -

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]