kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Gator Temp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by DocCroc on April 30, 2003 at 22:37:17:

In Reply to: Gator Temp posted by ReptileMatt on April 30, 2003 at 21:28:59:

95-100 degree basking is perfect temp for gators to chill and stay warm. Keep in mind the American gators in Florida are wild animals. They adapted to the weather in Florida because they are in their natural surrounding and they are able to tolerate the weather up and downs. In captivity I believe that the temp should be stable. I like to keep my animals on stable schedule. The water itself absorbs heat from the sun, depending on the depth of water. It’s different with captivity, so we need to heat the water to mimic the temperature of the natural lake. In the captivity, if the temp is cold, the gator is more likely to reject food or move around because the body part is stiff from being cold. I went to alligator adventure in Myrtle Beach last week; the weather was pretty gloomy and chilly. The workers there mentioned that the alligator might not respond to food because of the weather. I feel that keeping alligators in higher, warm temperature is the best because it helps them digest their food. Just my two cents from my experience.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]