kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: The real problem...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Vette on April 14, 2003 at 20:57:32:

In Reply to: Re: The real problem... posted by John_White on April 14, 2003 at 19:42:12:

I agree John, the only way to keep pet shops from sell aniamls to people who can't handle them is to, A. Out law exotic pets from pet shops. Doing this would make it harder for impules buyers, B. Have laws like Florida. Have people get permits and training before there purchase.
Most pet shop owners are not rich people, there just making ends meet. Most are not going to turn down a sale. Crocodilians are a bigger ticket item with more profit to be made.

Money makes the world go around$

:I agree with your statements regarding how things should be done, but in my experience this is not the reality of the situation. The vast majority of pet stores are about as effective at being "barriers" as a screen door on a submarine. Pet stores are in business to move merchandise and maximize profits.

:Given the resources available today, If I purchase an inappropriate animal it's my fault, not the pet store. I think it's unrealistic to expect pet stores to screen all potential customers. What happens if a pet store owner makes a "moral judgment" not to sell an individual an animal. Here in the US this "moral judgment" better be backed-up by some type of evidence or the owner may quickly find himself in court faced with some sort of law suite.

:I think that the "barrier" between pets and the end consumer must be formed in the mind of the end consumer.

:John

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]