kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Health Concern

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by JeffP on April 10, 2003 at 16:30:49:

Hi everyone,
I've got a situation that has arisen while my normal Herp Vet is out of town, for a couple of weeks. I noticed a tear on a hind toe, of my Dwarf Caiman. I did not notice this 2 days ago, when I fed him. I was out of town for a day and saw this on my return.
When I picked him up to look closer, I noticed a couple of small cracks in his foot also. As well as a couple of small ones on his side, near the hind leg. The water is kept very clean(completely changed weekly) and it is also well filtered. It stays a constant 82 degrees. He is in a 4'x8' cage, that is half water. He is about 4' long and 3 yrs old. I have raised him from a hatchling.
Before I left, he was acting normal and fed well. His diet has been primarily f/t mice, f/t quail chicks and occasionally fish (live). He has a hide cave on the land and a basking site, he occasionally uses. I examine him, closely, every week and have never noticed any of this before.
I have a vet appointment scheduled, but the main doctor, who I prefer to use, was not currently available. Do you have any ideas, of similar illnesses, that I may guide the doctor with. No doctors, in this area, have extensive experience with crocodilians. I'm not afraid of spending the necessary money, but I want to avoid them doing random kitchen-sink testing. He is definitely lethargic and I would like to keep his stress to a minimum.

Thank you for your time.
Jeff
(Here is a recent pic. He has been in great health.)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]