kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I live in CA and want to get a Caiman

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Bill Moss on March 31, 2003 at 06:54:42:

In Reply to: I live in CA and want to get a Caiman posted by bengalensis on March 30, 2003 at 22:40:23:

CA does not allow the private keeping of crocodilians. You can check with your state Dept of Nat Resources to verify that.

You said the husbandry requirements of monitors and crocodilians isn't much different, this couldn't be further from the truth. They are as different as night and day. Also, you mentioned saftey requirements - a six foot nile monitor is a walk in the park as compared to a six foot caiman. The monitor will mess up fingers and hands, the caiman can remove them or render them useless. The crocodilians have much more body mass (= strength) and much larger and more powerful jaws and teeth. Caimans don't stay small! You really need to work with a large one to understand. Even a dwarf caiman at 5 feet long is quite something to deal with. Fifteen years ago, I was doing a lot of work with monitors and was keeping had both nile and water monitors over 5 feet long and while they can be difficult, even a nile with an attitude is nothing like a spec. caiman. (which BTW can reach 8 plus feet in length)

Read the FAQ at crocodilian.com for information on husbandry. This is linked at on this page.

Bill

:Ive heard different things about my states regulations pertaining to keeping crocodilians. I currently house large nile and water monitors, and dont see much difference in husbandy and safety requirements of these large monitors and a very small crocodilian such as a caiman.
:Any info on how someone in my position should go about obtaining a caiman?
:Thanks,
:Michelle

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]