kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

hey Rob what do you think

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by meximullet02 on March 06, 2003 at 00:43:04:

In Reply to: calming down baby gators... posted by herboyracer on March 05, 2003 at 23:14:07:

ok it seems that Im in the same boat as you. well almost i dont own a gator but im an intern working with them. Im currently handling a 6-7 month old gator, hes mean, my advice is wear glove. i dang near got my finger taken off today. thank god i had on gloves. Anyways i think you that when taming gators your not suppost to handle them more that once a day, dew to stress. i could be wrong though. as for the hissing and biting, remeber your bigger than him therefore he sees himself as prey to you.
in not sure about these other question you asked as i said im not an expert...yet:). lol maybe we can get some others with more experiance to help.
andrew
oh yeah if i posted something that is wrong feel free to correct me. thats the only way to really learn.

:as youve all read (and knocked me about) i purchased a gator a few weeks ago...i love him to death...he seems to be quite the fan of hissing and trying to bite whenever anything is done near his enclosure...

:ive read that if you dont feed them thing with blood inside such as mice and fish...they lack of blood will reduce their naturl instincts a bit...is there any validity to this...also i tried lowering his water temperature a little bit...its in the high 70s now...

:even though he has been having little "temper tantrums" i still try to handle him a decent amount in hopes that he just isnt used to being picked up...as he was purchaced from a breeder...so that maybe after a while of him being picked up a few times a day every day he will calm down quite considerably...

:i think that the last might very well be my best option as it has worked with monitors ive owned but this is my first time actually owning an alligator and they are very different from monitors which im sure youve already realized...

:thanks for your time and any help will be GREATLY appreciated...also if you plan on saying things to just try to put me down about the ownership of this reptile...save it and go punch your next door neighbor instead...thank you...

:-christopher mchale

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]