kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Can anyone debunk these big gator reports?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Bill Moss on August 13, 2002 at 07:19:19:

In Reply to: Re: Can anyone debunk these big gator reports? posted by Mokele on August 13, 2002 at 03:37:32:

I also do alot of photo manipulation and, while I find your friends comments very observant, I don't agree with them.

:1) the light is shining on the wrong side of the gator.
The sky is hazy and the sun is high, resulting in a diffuse and short shadow. I couldn't find inconsistency.

:2) no built up mud or drag marks where you'd expect from hauling such a large animal.

Nor do I

:3) The man behind the gator should cast a shadow on it, but
doesn't

We don't know how far behind the gator the man is standing. As previously pointed out, this could give the gator the illusion of size (and old fishermans trick). Unless he is standing right on top of the gator there would be no shadow. Look at the shadow cast by the person in the safety vest.

:4) the man's legs look blurry where they meet the gator in the image
:5) there's a blur mark on the gator's back just left of the man's legs.
:6) supsicious repetition of the pattern of the mudbank near the gator's tail

4 5 and 6, the photo is of such low resolution that no matter where you look (I blew this up in photoshop and did some sharpening) there is blur and heavy pixelation.

:7) Shading under the gator is far darker than anything other shading in the pic

I don't agree here, either

:8) black tape looks suspiciously wide. like 5 inches plus.

If the gator is 15 feet long, the approx length of the head would be approx 22 inches. I think 2" tape would be appropriately scaled for an animal 15 feet long.

:and last but not least:

:9) human nature: you'd expect these people to be posing around the trussed gator they captured like a trophy, not seemingly ignoring it.

If this had been sitting around awhile, it would have lost it's interest from the standpoint of people standing around looking at it. There is a guy in the background with a camera who looks like he could be doing and interview.(?)

I personally don't think there is any question about this gator being on this job site. If I were going to change (via photo manipulation) the location of the gator, this is not the place I would put it.

Just my opinions.

Bill
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]