kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

one more feeder question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]

Posted by EdK on May 07, 2003 at 11:07:29:

In Reply to: one more feeder question posted by mred on May 07, 2003 at 08:09:51:

As a general rule of thumb, the sooner you can switch them to a food source that you can "control" the quality of the food item the better your snakes off your snakes.
That said a trick I used on newly born fitchi was to chop up one day old pinks and submerge them into a bowl of water and put two or three rosey reds into the water. The fish attracted the babies to feed and when they grabbed around in the water they grabbed and ate the pinkie parts. By doing this I was able to switch them onto pinkies very quickly (after a couple of weeks, I only used one fish and they ate the parts well, then I removed the fish and by this point they were used to the mouse taste and the hunting method allowed them to grab the parts and feed.
Ed

:Ok, here goes. I've got two captive born (last summer) Checks and several more on the way this year. My adults & near adults are eating f/t pinkies, no problem. The two juvies will eat nothing but fish - rosies mostly. I've tried worms, etc but with no luck. I plan to switch them to rosie & "pinkie parts" asap, but in the meantime am I doing them harm? Any suggestion?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]