mobile - desktop
Made in the USA - Freedom Breeder
News & Events:
Posted by mt on March 14, 2003 at 11:56:23:
In Reply to: Switching Garters to Mice posted by jason on March 14, 2003 at 10:11:18:
How long have you had these babies ?? I mean have they had time to settle ?? I only ask as you said they were sold as pinkie feeders ... In any event all of my Garters are unscented, 100% rodent eaters, different sub-species, various ages, etc. So I think I have a "plan", LOL ;))
Easier when babies are started right from day one ...
- Chop up a frozen pink. Use a straight edge razor, slice the pink in half length wise, down the middle, then continue to chop those halves into appropriate sized pieces ... smaller is better ;))
- Let the pieces thaw in a small bowl. Shouldn't take too long to thaw. Put a small amount of fish tank water into the bowl. Add some Guppies for further scenting.
- Scoop the whole mess up in a fish net, perhaps adding a few larger Guppies to the net to help get that yummy fish scent all over the pinkie meat. Mix it up a little .. Gentley as you don't want to kill the Guppies !!!
- Get your feeder container and set it so that it is slightly tilted on one side. Pour the "mess" from the fish net into the lower side of the container. The idea is to allow just enough
water on one end for a few fish (smallest ones you have and only a few) to move around in.
- Garters aren't the greatest hunters in the world so the idea is to set up a feeding environment where they are attracted by the fishes movements and smell but do not provide them very good odds of actually catching a fish, LOL ;)) Once they are "interested" and begin the "hunt" they will wildy snatch at anything with their mouths gapping :)) If you do it right this should result in a mouthful of pinkie meat !!! Sure they catch a fish every so often but when starting out I only put in enough to get them to WANT to partake ... After they start feeding the less fish I put in ... Like one or two !!!
P.S. More times then not the fish come out unscathed, LOL ;))
GOOD LUCK !!!