kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Feeding juvi dekay's snake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]

Posted by chris_mcmartin on January 14, 2003 at 08:01:22:

In Reply to: Feeding juvi dekay's snake posted by LisaOKC on January 13, 2003 at 23:19:49:

OKC, huh? That's where I grew up.

:What I'm wondering is how often to feed him. In the past he's seemed content to have something every 2-3 days. Now he seems more active and will usually eat something whenever I offer it.
:Is it possible to overfeed this type of snake?

My rule of thumb is: If the width of the skin visible between the scales is wider than the scales themselves, you're overfeeding! :)

Hopefully, if it's a juvenile snake, the extra food will translate to a higher growth rate rather than an inclination towards obesity.

I weigh my snakes to watch for sudden weight gain/loss using a digital postal scale. I have a juvenile kingsnake and an adult garter. More so for the king, I also measure him frequently to monitor the growth rate. If the weight started increasing out of proportion to the growth rate, I might lay off the food somewhat. (Keeping in mind that "length" is appropriately enough a linear measurement while "weight" is proportional to "three dimensions" of the snake--i.e. its volume; therefore, the weight may seem to increase more rapidly than the length)

Understand that this is mostly my own personal "take" on the subject and others may disagree.

Chris

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]