kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Baby eat a guppy !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]

Posted by Paul Hollander on December 19, 2002 at 17:12:42:

In Reply to: Baby eat a guppy ! posted by Mizar 21 on December 18, 2002 at 21:52:16:

:Today for the first time i see my garter eat a guppy :) I'm in day 5 now. He was looking at the guppy in his water bowl, he sneak into the water and was moving a but fast so i think that he was hungry...he get out of the bowl without catching any...so i take one out and when the guppy was almost dead, i kind of stick it to the enclosure glass very much near him. His tongue was flicking out very fast and after "smelling" he finally eat it :) How many 3/4 inch guppy can a 10 inch snake eat ? I know i may sound silly but i was beginning to worry a bit about him...he's so small.

Glad to hear he's eating.

Rule of thumb is feed enough to produce a visible bulge in his belly. Even if one guppy doesn't produce a bulge, I'd stop at one for this feeding and the next. He probably hasn't eaten for a while, and his system needs to adjust to getting food again. After the second feeding, I might give more, depending on how big a food bulge there is and how he acts.

I notice that nobody answered your last post. So here goes. 84-85 degrees F is a good daytime temperature. Garters do well with a nighttime temperature drop into the low 70s F. This copies the day/night temperature cycle they get in the wild.

I haven't a clue as to what species you have. A picture would be nice, but right now I'd leave him alone and let him digest his food. Identification isn't urgent. Good luck with your little guy.

Paul Hollander

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]