kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Leopard Frog Tadpoles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by EllasMommie on May 05, 2003 at 14:09:20:

In Reply to: Leopard Frog Tadpoles posted by Squishie on May 05, 2003 at 13:41:12:

So far I have sucessfully raised 3 leopard frogs. In my experience they didn't like the shrimp but loved Frog and Tadpole bited and the live plants that I have in with them. Tadpoles are veggie eaters so the shrimp doesn't really appeal to them. Your leo will also need at least a 10 gallon home, 20 if you are going to house 2. Once they morph they become meat eaters and will eat crickets, worms (mine really seem to like frozen blood worms. You can buy them in cubes at most pet supply stores)Tads take different times to morph, mine took from 1 month to 2 months. It seemed like once the back legs grew it would take about 2 1/2 weeks for the front to come in then about a week from there for them to get up on land. Then it took about 2 weeks before they seemed interested in eating. You don't have to offer food until their tail is completely absorbed.

I'm not sure what all comes with the habitat but like everyone here told me, you'll want large river rock once they morph to avoid them accidently eating the rocks and getting impacted. On the land side you want lots of hiding spots and either bed-a-beast or coconut fiber (both come in blocks that will fill a 50 gallon terrarium with about 1 inch) You want the bedding to be at least 3 inches deep because they tend to bury themselves. Forwarding, they hide a lot! one of mine has been on land almost a month, the other about a week and a half and I rarely see them unless I peek in at night with a flash light. Then I only see them a few seconds before they are diving for cover. Once they get bigger you will see them more. My third one just got it's fromt legs and should be heading for land in about a week.

Overall do your froggies a favor and give them lots of room (the tank should be set up 50 water 50 land) for hopping and lots of privacy. They can get stressed pretty easily. And don't handle them unless it is needed. The oils on our hands can make them sick.

If I've missed anything I'm sure everyone here will let you know. This is a great group of people and they are all so knowledgeable about frogs!

Enjoy and I wish you the best of luck!

:Hi...I have a question for anyone who may be able to offer insight or advice...My son recieved a frog "habitat" for his birthday.Instaed of ordering a tadpole through the mail we went to the local pet store and bought one (they had the same kind that the mail order offered,the lepoard frog)My questions are 1st...what types of thigs do they eat?(the pet stroe person reccomended frozen shrimp brine untill it turns into a frog...)2nd, how long until it should start becoming a frog..And 3rd(and last) is it better to have 1 tadpole or 2?The instructions for the frog house claim that the habitat is large enough for 2, but to me seems that it would be crowded,however,I dont want to keep one "isolated" if they are used to having a "friend" close by...any input is greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]