kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Ornate hopper frog care info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by hecktick_punker on April 27, 2003 at 09:46:15:

In Reply to: Ornate hopper frog care info posted by Bianca on April 26, 2003 at 20:56:45:

Hi Bianca,

I don't have any experience keeping the ornates - Scaphiophryne gottlebei but we have had 3 of the marbled hoppers - S. marmorata at the pet store I work at for a few months now. They are cute little frogs. We have been keeping the 3 in a 5 gallon aquarium with a substrate of bed-a-beast, a shallow water pool and a few clumps of rocks and moss for hiding. For perminant housing you might want a larger aquarium. The temperature stays in the low 70's during the day and drops a few degrees at night. They eat crickets up to a quarter inch in size and are real pigs. They are pretty secretive so you don't get to see them much unfortunatly. The best care sheet about these frogs online can be found at http://www.amphibian.co.uk/ then click on anuran care sheets and then on Scaphiophryne. Other common names that I have seen these frogs sold under are pudge frogs, hopper frogs and madagascan burrowing toads so you might try doing a few searches online with those common names and seeing what information comes up. Good luck!

Devin
www.amphibiancare.com

:Anyone keep these http://market.kingsnake.com/image/72102.jpg

: If so what is your set up like,temp,how long have you had them,etc?I cant seem to find any care info on them yet see them for sale here and there and like them.Ofcourse wont get anything without knowing how to care for it and if it does well in captivity.
: Thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]