kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: kimhotep:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by kimhotep on April 20, 2003 at 19:08:49:

In Reply to: kimhotep: posted by ginevive on April 20, 2003 at 14:20:56:

I'm having fun with these taddies :-)
Thank god for the internet - wish I had access to so much info last time I had tadpoles (maybe 18 years ago!)

Yah, my guys have translucent finny tails now; a few days ago their tails looked solid black. Still have frilly little gills. I have maybe about 2 dozen in there now; every time I change the water, I put some more back in the pond. Mine are spending a lot of time hanging around vertically, even on the sides of the tank! Wonder how they do that - mouth suction maybe?? I'm having NO problem supplying algae galore, so I don't know if I'll even need to supplement with lettuce & flake. Pond/ditch is at the bottom of the garden so I can go down & grab some submerged vgetation any time things don't look greeny enough in there.

I'm not sure if I'll keep any adults; only spare tanks I have are a 10 gallon & a wee 5.5 gallon. Is a 10 gallon too small for a single wood frog? & - do you have any fotos of one of those bluish ones? How does the bullfrog do in the 55 gallon? Is it a good size for them?

I have a gulf coast toad as my only amphibian, & he lives in a planted 20 gallon vivarium; here's his pic (glamour shot)

Thanks!
-Kim

:Cool, someone else with wopd frog tadpoles. they looked a bit like salamanders when they first hatched, with the weird gill thingys on the sides, but now they took their tadpole shape and are swimming around alot more. i too left the eggshells in there, they eat the algae off them and also a few tads seem to still be developing in the remaining ones. theyre tiny little things! i have more than i thought, about 50 now that i counted them, i plan to setup a large 55 gal tank for them all. i already have 2 adult wood frogs. theyre real cool to keep because theyre small, allowing you to keep more in a smaller tank than needed for, say, my huge bullfrog who needs her own 55 gal. hope to get some ones with different colorations outta this batch, like the weird bluish ones! oh about feeding, i have fed mine the same things as you, but also i added in some finely ground fish flakes and boiled lettuce leaf, and i change half the water daily to provide enuff oxygen. good luck!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]