kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I assume you mean gravel...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by EllasMommie on April 19, 2003 at 01:26:08:

In Reply to: I assume you mean gravel... posted by LizardFlorida on April 18, 2003 at 23:57:25:

I already got rid of the large gravel (all but a thin layer on the land side under 2 inches of aquatic soil and 1 inch of Jungle Earth) The gravel has been replaced by large river rock meaturing from 3" to 5". I have a siphon but it just takes too long (I have a 2 year old up my butt all the time ha ha, need to get things done quickly before she's into it all) I bought a 5 gallon wet/dry shop vac that drains the water in 10 mins. Now that I have the huge river rock I don't think any of it will fit up the hose.

:Get rid of the gravel. It can and will kill your frogs with impactions.

:Go to the aquarium store and get aquarium sand. It is sterilized, and clean.

:You can use a siphon instead--removing half the water and replacing with conditioned (declorinated/de-ammoniaed) water. also use a filtration system

:
:LizardFlorida

:
::For those of you who use them. I picked one up to make the cleaning and changing job quicker (I have a 2 year old daughter, anything to make life easier and quicker is a god send HA HA) Do any of you have any suggestions for preventing sucking up my rocks with the water? Maybe some kind of mesh to cover the vac end that will let dirt and gunk pass but not rocks?

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]