kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: sexing pixie frogs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by jmf20 on July 28, 2002 at 22:02:14:

In Reply to: sexing pixie frogs? posted by toady on July 28, 2002 at 18:53:13:

Actually a pixie frog is atherwise known as an African Bullfrog, so if you search that on the internet (I used google), you will find all the answers to your guestions, believe me I did. But just to get you started, petstores use the name pixie frog (I Believe) to trick people, because it sounds extremely cute, and small. Well, they deffinately DO NOT stay small. They can easily get to about 6 inches or bigger. And as you will find out with your search, you can tell the sex of your frog by the size of the eardrum relative to the eye; the females eardrum is around the same size or smaller, while the males eardrum is bigger. But to let you know, I am not too sure how old they have to be in order to be able to tell. There should be someone else around here that can tell us that.
Well, I hope I could help, Good Luck
Oh Yeah, your frog will eventually need a tank around about 60-70 gallons, will eat just about anything that will fit into its mouth (and moves, they usually don't eat dead), and need a half water half land home with hiding places, light, and they do like to swim (they have very powerful legs; when they get full grown, they can jump at least three feet).
Now, I will bit you a good luck, and a have fun!
Frogs do make great pets!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]