kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

that's what I got out of the post too....me to and

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by herpetological on May 14, 2003 at 18:52:24:

In Reply to: that's what I got out of the post too....me to and posted by Steve G on May 14, 2003 at 17:02:11:

:Chambo.........Trust me when I tell you, that field collecting in the area of our anole collector extraordinaire here involves a lot of tresspassing. In the old days, you could get permission. These days, forget it. Corporations just don't want the liability of people on their property. Good luck getting on to Talisman farms to hunt those canal banks for Florida kings or US Sugar Corp. to hunt for yellows. Now if this guy is finding an occasional L. calligaster occipitolineata and getting it into the hands of breeders, I have no problem with that. That subspecies of mole king is very uncommon, and having captive born available reduces the commercial value of wild caught specimens in time. I know all about catching anoles at night, but I would pay to see someone pluck off 100 in an hour...lol...Perhaps I can hire this guy as a guide.
As to the coment on the L.C. Occipitolinetata. Yes, I agree. They should only go to collectors. The two I caught last year went to breeding programs. (The other were unfortunate DOR's.) AT NO CHARGE! By the way I don't collect that road much. I was hearing about it from people who lived there and had to see for myself. So.... I'm not upset about them taking my spot.... wasn't mine.... no road is. The point was the techniques being used and the disregard. As to trespassing? Gee didn't I bring that up. It has taken many years to develop the relationships I have with property owners over the years. I carry a $1,000,000.00 liability policy. We carry portable sprayers for citrus canker. We work in conjunction with USDA, Game & Fish, County animal controls, Sheriff's Departments, Ranch & Grove, Drainage Districts, FPL, etc.....We have written permission to collect on over 65,000 acres of farms and land in 5 counties. And yes you have to have written permission with you at all times. It has to be updated yearly. If you would like to see me collect my measly 80 anoles or so per hour you are welcome to do so. It would have to be only a few people at a time due to my agreements with the owners.The only problem is that if you were to go back there, you couldn't they won't allow it. Therefore, it would only prove my point.(I'd be happy to.) In addition I don't collect only anoles... Oh by the way yes, I can go on Talisman and U.S. Sugar Corp. Properties. I simply have to call first and no night collecting. Why? Because I do not destroy their pumphouses, break gates, cut locks, gas the sand bags etc. It's called respect.(I'm not saying you don't but, that is why they do not want anyone out there!) Also, I have been involved with agencies conducting studies in many of these areas. The only reason I can collect so many species in the areas is because I'm the only one allowed to do so. I am very careful about what I take. There are good arguments on both sides. If you or anyone else wants to go out on these areas and collect simply contact me. If you are looking for certain locality specimens let me know. If it's only a couple I will send them for free or trade. You couldn't afford me as a guide. I'd do it free. Thanks Ray HBR

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]