kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hope this helps...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by NZ on May 09, 2003 at 08:44:08:

In Reply to: FEEDING DOG FOOD posted by mossman on May 09, 2003 at 05:34:05:

first of your mice will be as healthy as what you feed them, and your snakes will be as healthy as the mice you feed them. What you should do is get the best dog food out there, like Nutro, which has no coloring and is all ntural and top notch. You should compare the nutrition lable on the food to the lable on the best mouse blocks you can find. That way you can make your won decision as to if the feeder mice will get the right nutrition. Then you should add other food items to the dog food for best results. I've been feeding my feeder mice and hamsters dog food with great results. I also give them equal amounts of vegitable, bread, and nuts. This way I am sure they are getting all the right vitamins, minerals, and ruffage they need. All my feeders are in perfect health and so are my snakes. Ultimately you can go either way you like, just think about what wild mice would eat and the fact that snakes have been thriving on them in the wild for millions of years, and think how much better your feeder mice will eat no matter which you go with.

:I have read a lot of posts on this forum and have not come up w/ a defenite answer. Is feeding dog food to my rats and mice harmful to my SNAKES? I know they will eat it (the rats and mice) and I know they will produce offspring while eating it, but what I want to know is YES or NO is feeding the dog food harmful for my SNAKES? Not the rodents! And I don't care if one will produce more babies or that the rodents will be happier. I just want to know if it is going to hurt my snakes. Very simple question, demanding a very simple answer. I know this question has sparked much debate before but like I said all I want to know is will it hurt my snakes. The rodents to me are just food for my snakes.

:I have started a colony, just a week ago, and have been feeding them dog chow. I know that some are prgnant already and they apper to be healthy. But if feeding this to the rodents will harm my animals (snakes) I will stop feeding the dog chow immediately. I have been told both.One, that it is fine and two, that it is not so good. So now I look to the infinate wisdom of the kingsnake forum for a defenite answer to this compelling question. Thanks for your knowledge and advice in advance.

:JP

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]