kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Did anyone else take the time to watch the video?...........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by FroggieB on May 05, 2003 at 14:11:41:

In Reply to: 30,000 Mice Discovered In Oklahoma City Barn; Owner Arrested posted by jeffb on May 02, 2003 at 23:22:35:

They stated that there was hardly any room to walk between the cages but the video showed a barn with clean floors and adequate walkways between the racks. The mice weren't crowded and the litter in their tubs looked fresh. They were set up with automatic watering system and all of the tubs had feed on top of the screen covers. They were in well built rack systems with plenty of space between levels and looked like someone was putting in a lot of time caring for them. I know I wasn't there to experience the smell, but I doubt that it was anything more than one would expect with 30,000 mice!

I didn't see anything in the video to suggest, nor did the reporter or article document any abuse or neglect. The mice looked healthy. The reporter stated that the tubs were completely uncovered yet they showed racks using wire mesh covering all of the tubs!

I almost think this is a matter of the neighbors didn't like having mice that close, the reporter wasn't accustomed to mouse urine, and the animal control folk didn't like seeing a mouse farm! They used sensationalism to make this appear to be a travesty when it was a well organized, clean, mouse ranch!

Have you ever gone to a rabbit breeder and walked through their barns? You get the same sort of smells, urine, manure, bedding, etc. Not pleasant but not intolerable either! I would bet you a dozen pinks that if that barn had been filled with bunnies nobody would have cared!

Just my thoughts!
Marcia

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]