kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Cottontails=snakefood???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by Sonya on May 03, 2003 at 06:47:45:

In Reply to: Cottontails=snakefood??? posted by dale on May 03, 2003 at 02:35:46:

:I live in an area where there are a lot of cotton tail rabbits. I have all the means to hunt them and probably will for myself but I was curious if they are ok for snake food? I have heard that if you freeze something like that for 2+ weeks it kills any parasites is this true? I dont want to risk the snakes health but as far as price goes it would be great. Just thought I would ask :)

I personally wouldn't risk it just because. I am conservative with that sort of thing I guess. I asked the old, freezing kills parasites thing of my vets and the consensus was that it will kill some but it would have to be months in 0 degrees to kill all. Figure these are bugs that live through winters...and in upstate NY that is not a couple of frosts and a month of ground freeze. Just thoughts.
Sonya

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]