kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hogwash I say :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by iwana on April 23, 2003 at 07:32:45:

In Reply to: Hogwash I say :) posted by shannons on April 22, 2003 at 20:58:28:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think what the guy was explaining though was that the bacteria present in their gut was part of their genetic make-up and it was the reason why they were able to digest rotting vegetation, not that the bacteria was there as a result of what they were eating.

My guess, though, is that *all* insects have some sort of bacteria in their gut and that the significance of this is greatly reduced when the insects are kept in a clean environment and fed healthful foods. Or maybe roaches are particularly bad because of their amazing resilience? Hrm...

I agree with you that it seems this guy is overly paranoid. You can't, after all, keep herps in completely sterile conditions, otherwise how will they ever build any antibodies.

Just curious, though: how long have you been feeding roaches to your herps?

:We feed hissers from our colony to both our Jackson's and Veiled. They thrive on them. The logic that after hundreds of captive bred generations on dog food and veggies from the grocers that the babies are going to have bacteria from their "wild diet" is just a figment of someone's worried mind. Hissers give birth to live young, but those young hatch from eggs just like any other insect - they just are retracted inside mom till they are developed. Enjoy your colony - we haven't really bought any cham food in at least six months and our chams love the roaches...Bartleby the Jackson's even eats them out of DH's hand now. We also feed them to our geckos and bearded dragon(s)...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]