kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My setup

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by zhenchok on April 16, 2003 at 23:57:35:

In Reply to: What setup is most efficient for breeding mice? posted by h0mersimps0n on April 16, 2003 at 21:19:44:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pet waterbottle and I believe a 45 quart plastic Rubbermaid that has push in, yellow, clips that lock the top. I think the Rubbermaid was around $4.75 and the water bottle was about a $1.60. I took a drill and drilled holes all around the top of the Rubbermaid, I also cut out the hole for the bottle on one side.
I stick the bottle from the top and screw in the other part from the bottom. I've been using this setup for over 6 months with perfect results. I did end up getting some humidity build up when I had too many mice in there, I ended up cutting out a big hole and put a piece of wire mesh over it, to give them more air. Once a day I check on the water and give them some food. I use rabbit pellets for substrate to eliminate some of the smell. I clean it all out one a week. I might spend at most 30 minutes on two mouse bins a week, I have 2 snakes and it’s the best and most efficient setup that I've found. I even had up to 9 females and one male in that setup without any problems. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]