kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

not really OT on a feeder forum, per se...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by cindy on April 13, 2003 at 06:50:23:

In Reply to: Glad mealworms safe to eat ....next question??? posted by joeyjoh on April 13, 2003 at 02:38:19:

...so they probably won't delete these threads, but I still think you may as well do your own internet searches for these questions. My guess would be that eating crickets, pound for pound, is WAY more expensive than eating hamburger, so your budget isn't the real reason you are asking these questions.

There is plenty of info on the net about these atypical diet supplements, and has been for a long time. I was in college in the 70's, and our campus organic food store sold "worm powder" and powderized lubber grasshoppers and other unusual supplements to mix in with your food. They were purportedly much higher in protein and lower in fat than meat or egg white-based supplements, but they were NOT cheap.

I suspect you could use insects in the same recipes you have for shrimp, a meatier, but still insect-like protein source. Use your imagination. I was told at Mizzou that the Herp society there served batter dipped and fried pinkies with the regular hors d'oeuvres at their get togethers. I thought that worth mentioning, since it sounds like it would appeal to you.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]