kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hatchling Cal King

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]

Posted by sasheena on September 30, 2002 at 22:06:24:

Well, I've owned snakes for a little over a year. Had my share of mistakes. This was a new one... I just got this little girl and she is so dainty! 14 or 15 inches long, hatched five weeks before I bought her, and I went to check on her, and wham... she's gone. Lid's on... so what's the deal? Well turns out the reptile cage has a hole for a cord for a light. Guess she made her way up and just slithered out the front door so to speak. (the hole in the cage that is.) I had her in my mouse room and figured she was up for her next shed soon. Unfortunately the room is packed full of boxes haphazardly piled awaiting a forthcoming move... we're talking 125 cubic feet of hiding places for a snake! I've left out pinkies, to no avail. I'm afraid she'll climb in with the mice and gobble pinkies then be unable to get out and be gobbled in turn by the irate momma mice.

Thought I'd see what sort of suggestions I could get. Hubby isn't fond of the idea of corn starch or flour being littered everywhere. The good news is that there appears to be hatchling geckos "infesting" my mouse room. So my hope is that the snake might find plenty enough to eat to keep her alive. But I'm worried about her.

Just for humour thought I'd mention my other escapees. First one was another cal king... I forgot to latch (but did close the lid) this was in the winter... he crawled out, into the bedroom, and up into bed with my hubby and I. Woke me right up to feel a snake snuggling into my hand!

Second escape I ever had was when we thought our hatching Pyro was too weak to get out of an unsecured cage with a heavy lid... was on the phone when I saw her plop to the floor from her cage... so was looking in the right place at the right time.

The third escapee was an insectivorous ground snake, also in the mouse room, that disappeared from it's critter keeper... no way for it to get out, but it was gone! And then a few weeks later our little Cali gets out too. (Another six weeks of steady feedings and I'm sure she'd consider the ground snake a tasty meal, but at the moment, she's smaller than him.).

The few times a lid has been left off a snake cage completely were always when the snakes were blue and did NOT escape. Only closed cages seem to elicit escapes!

Anyway... any suggestions would be helpful. I miss our little newest snake (whom we named Jailbird... if ever there was an appropriate name, this one is it!)

~Sasheena

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]