kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Lost my year old corn. HELP!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]

Posted by patricia sherman on August 05, 2002 at 08:31:36:

In Reply to: Lost my year old corn. HELP!! posted by slimeysnake on July 29, 2002 at 06:47:00:

You need to make sure that it can't slither out underneath the front door.

That done, you can do several things to find out where it may be. Depending how neatly kept your place is, it may be possible to track the snake's location by trailing flour across the doorways, and along the walls. Snakes rarely cross open spaces, so it will almost certainly be found close to a wall, and when it travels, it will follow the wall, or follow closely around any obstacles against the walls.

It may be behind a dresser or box.

One of mine (about the same size as yours is now), was gone for ten weeks, and turned up laying along the top of the baseboard behind the stereo. He escaped a second time within a week of me finding him (hence his name now being "Houdini"), and turned up three days later inside a houseplant waterdish coiled around the pot. About a month after that, I caught him in the act of escaping when I'd left his cage improperly closed for less than three minutes. His fourth escape was in the cold-room about five months later, when he somehow found a way out of the brumation container that he was sharing with four others. That time, he turned up brumating inside a cardboard box in the cold-room.

The first time he escaped, it was together with five other yearlings. Four of those were recaptured within an hour. The fifth, Ziggy, was gone for two weeks, and turned up inside a mouse cage. She'd slithered between the bars, feasted, and then found herself unable to slither out with a full belly. so she settled down to sleep it off, and was caught. When Houdini escaped inside the cold-room, Ziggy also escaped again (this was amazing, the other three remained in the box, and I couldn't figure out how Ziggy and Houdini got out). That time, Ziggy stayed brumating for over three months (I couldn't find her), but I put out a caged mouse close outside the door of the coldroom. You guessed it, she was recovered exactly the same way that she was recovered the first time.

Chances are that you'll recover your snake unharmed, although it may take a while. The only time I've ever lost one and not recovered it, was when I had a hatchling escape from the incubator. It was so small, and hadn't ever fed, so it had little chance of survival.

Tricia

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Escaped Herp Forum ]