kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Naja nigricollis crawshayi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by bhw on February 12, 2003 at 10:48:17:

In Reply to: Re: Naja nigricollis crawshayi posted by Jeremy G on February 10, 2003 at 20:17:50:

:Hi Brad,
:It sounds to me just to be plain ol Naja nigricollis nigricollis. I have seen some adults which were very shiny blk dorsaly but most tend to be much more faded then what their belly and head keeps.

:BTW, I am still not sure whether there are other ssp which look similar to the nominate yet have differnces that require ssp specification but I would be wary if someone is trying to push this snake off for more then it is. What would be the price he/she is asking, if im not prying too deep? If its over $150.00(for an adult! Babies are going much cheaper)then I personaly wouldnt pay it unless he/she can proove its origins are other then the common nominate ssp.

:In any case, they are very interesting snakes but do require alot of respect! Some are very spitty, others tend to act alomost like a mamba with their sketchy demeanor and their damn near as fast too! These guys are definately more of a handfull then most if not all of the Asian stuff so be extreamly carefull when handleing them(duh! :-)

:Good luck on your Naja search and hopefully the person does have something unique though I am lead to belive its just the plain ol blk neck.

:Take care,
:Jeremy

:
:::I belive that ssp is no longer valid or as you mentioned, was never fully excepted. Though I cant think of any of the currently regonised ssp at the moment, I know that name isnt one of them. What did the person you are reciveing them from say they looked like? A pyhsical discription or common name will help in us giveing you info.

:::The one thing I do know is Naja nigricollis nigricollis obtains the largest size and is the biggest spitter there is. The others tend to be much smaller. There is a brown phase which may be a seperate ssp and it obtains upwards of 7ft in length but I belive this is just a form of N.n.nigricollis.

:::Try to get us a discription for better info.

:::All the best,
:::Jeremy

:::
::::I am getting some black neck spitters that are supposed to be of the crawshayi subspecies. I cannot find much info on these animals other than it is not widely accepted as a subspecies.Does anyone have any knowledge of them ie. range,size,do they change color as they get older? Thanks

:::
:::Thanks for your response. I was told that they are mat black dorsally,shiny black ventrals, shiny black head, and a bright red band around the throat. Thanks for any more help.
:: Brad

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]