kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

FL Press: Punta Gorda man expected to recover from venom

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]

Posted by W von Papineäu on February 02, 2003 at 09:22:31:

In Reply to: FL Press:Lee County man in serious condition from cobra bite posted by W von Papineäu on February 01, 2003 at 08:36:55:

NEWS-PRESS (Fort Myers, Florida) 02 February 03 Cobra bites snake handler - Punta Gorda man expected to recover from venom (Karen Johnson)
A Punta Gorda man suffered a cobra bite Wednesday night while preparing a snake exhibit for the Octagon Animal Sanctuary at the Shell Factory.
David Weathers, president of the animal sanctuary, had put one of his 25 cobras into a transport carrier when he decided to take a different cobra instead.
“It was a freak thing. When I opened the cage, the snake was already agitated,” said Weathers, 25.
The monocled cobra bit Weathers on his stomach and held on for 10 seconds, which is long enough to give a lethal dose.
Weathers, who has been bitten by other kinds of snakes, told his father to call 911 immediately.
The venom center at Miami-Dade Fire Rescue received the call at about 9:45 p.m., according to Lt. Ernie Jillson. Capt. Al Cruz flew to Fort Myers, arrived at Lee Memorial Hospital at about 12:30 a.m. and gave Weathers 10 vials of Thai cobra antivenin.
Weathers said within an hour of the bite, he was feeling the venom’s neurological effects including respiratory problems, tingling in the hands and slurred speech. When he arrived at Lee Memorial, he had trouble walking and started going into kidney failure.
He was told Friday that his blood work looked good and he would probably have a full recovery despite a 3-by-1.5 inch patch of necrosis — dead tissue — on his stomach.
This is the first time Weathers has been hospitalized for a snake bite, he said.
“Right now it feels like someone is kicking me in the chest and lighting me on fire at the same time,” Weathers said. “There is swelling and pain all down my left leg. Pretty typical for a cobra bite.”
The monocled cobra can grow to be 16 feet or longer. Jillson said its venom, as well as that of all cobras, is highly toxic.
“It’s a deadly cobra. Without the antivenin, he wouldn’t have survived,” Jillson said.
The grand opening of the serpentarium is still planned for Sunday during the Gumbo Festival, Weathers said.
“The sooner they let me out of here, the sooner I can start working,” Weathers said. “I may even be out there doing shows or something.”

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Elapidae Forum ]