kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

TX Press: Fifth-graders help scientists study the decline ..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]

Posted by W von Papineäu on September 03, 2002 at 09:38:40:

NEWS 8 (Austin, Texas) 01 September 02 Fifth-graders help scientists study the decline of horned lizard
The Texas Horned Lizard or Horny Toad was once common throughout most of the state. But in the past 30 years, the state reptile has nearly disappeared.
Scientists have now turned to some fifth-graders for answers.
In the quiet town of Lawn, near Abilene, with less than 500 people, a group of fifth-graders from Jim Ned Lawn Elementary are about to get some exciting news.
"Everyone knows the essay contest that we tried out for and wrote? Well we got a notice that you won," declares teacher Jana Bradley.
"It was on my answering machine and I played it about 6 times then I called my principal and I said I think we won the contest and then I played it about 6 more times."
The essay was part of a contest organized by Texas Parks and Wildlife to gain widespread awareness of the official state reptile.
There were more than 200 entries from 44 counties. Bradley's students interviewed local biologists, meteorologists and family members.
Once common throughout most of the state, the Texas Horned Lizard, or Horny Toad, has nearly disappeared. Now on the state's threatened species list, scientists hope these essays will help them understand what is happening to this popular reptile.
"We used to catch them all the time and play with them and put fingernail polish on them so when we let them go we would know if we caught them again. Now you can't find them anywhere hardly," parent Gayle Cook said.
Kirby Carrol of Texas Parks & Wildlife leads a group discussion and asks why the horned toad's population is going down. Answers include the use of pesticides to kill fire ants, which are the horned toad's main food source and the destruction of clumped grass, the toad's habitat.
The essay winners won a field trip to the Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area near Fredericksburg to learn about another species, the Mexican Free-tailed bat.
"I think I'd love to continue to gather the remembrances of horned lizards and encourage people to send those in and encourage kids to really rigorously kinda record this information for us before it's gone," said TPWD Essay Coordinator Lee Ann Linam.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Educator Forum ]