kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Humane Society's Latest Release

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]

Posted by Wildlife Rescue on November 07, 2001 at 21:41:00:

In Reply to: Humane Society's Latest Release posted by Samcin on October 23, 2001 at 10:13:59:

Thank you for posting this URL. I have recieved word from a few places about this, but have not read it myself, except for now. I personally find this release absolutely appauling. I plan to contact them and ask for copies of all their documentation for these supposed numbers and statistics that they state. I plan to do some research of my own to find out what the real numbers are by calling or visiting hospitals in major cities to find out the number of salomenella cases they recieve, and how exactly do they determine them to be reptilian in origin as opposed to being a bad piece of bacon.
I also find it interesting how they say that large constrictors are "frequently" associated with strangulation of children. According to my sources, there is an average of less than 1 death a year by a large constrictor in the U.S. in the last decade. Funny how they fail to mention the 15 + deaths annually due to canine attacks, not to mention the thousands of hospital reports of dog and cat bites and scratches.
I guess the point of this post, aside from the opportunity to vent, is that we don't need to sit back and let this happen. There are ways to challenge their made-up statistics, and ways to interpret their malicious wording. I just hope we can all do our parts in our communities to try and repair the damage and tame the fears that these fanatics have caused.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ]