kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Herps in the classroom

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Meltzer-RJ Reptiles on April 24, 2001 at 04:19:10:

In Reply to: Re: Herps in the classroom posted by Ed Stone DVM on April 23, 2001 at 23:45:43:

: Hi John, nice to hear from you.
: The WI Herpetological Society was recently informed by several schools that we formerly did herp presentations for that our services (free!) were no longer welcome due to the potential for Reptile Associated Salmonella. Teachers said that some national educators publication ran an article on the zoonotic disease dangers of animals in the classroom and the liability issues for schools. Is this feeling prevalent around the country? I have a relative that is a teacher and a long time ago I gave her a box turtle for her classroom and she recently gave it back to me after seeing the article ( I have not seen the article or know where it was published). this was actually a year or two ago.
: : How many teachers keep herps in the classroom and what types? I've placed lots of reptiles in classrooms and done lots of educational programs and am curious. Thanks. John

Hi Ed,
I have ran into the salmonella issue a few times. I haven't had any teachers want herps out of the classroom due to it. When I let kids touch the animals I make them wash their hands after. I have mixed emotions about letting them touch them or not. I hope it never comes to not being able to let kids have a hands on experience with herps. John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]