return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: presentations....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jo Ann on June 20, 1999 at 22:00:35:

In Reply to: presentations.... posted by jason on May 12, 1999 at 18:15:14:

: i really would like to present some of my snakes at birthday parties, schools ect.. i only have 3 snakes a bp and 2 corns. what do some of you say or do when you bring in snakes??? please give me advice thanks.

First contact teachers-I go to the classes that my daughter is in every year-with the teacher's permission. And of course-the school's permission. I give them an outline of what I'm going to present ahead of time so if there is something they don't want they have time to tell me. I do this for FREE. I want to give children a repectful and educational program. I use mostly native animals to the area/ones I have caught just for that purpose and then return to where they came from-I do use one or 2 exotics-to illustrate different classes of reptiles and amphibians(we have no lizards in PA-but children find salamanders so I show the difference)I use a large snake-if I have one on hand(I take unwanted snakes and adopt them out). AFTER YOU GET PERMISSION from the school -make the presentation the length that will hold the age child's attention-no more than 1/2 hour for kindergarden and preschool.(unless they are nice and quiet and really interested-then keep one or two extra to talk about at the end-if they behave-if not-still make them viewable for after and during question and answer time.) Most of all-be funny (with little kids especially-think of Bill Nye the Science Guy) and be FACTUAL. You would surprised how much they learn if you keep their interest.
What I've done to get a chance to do presentations is send an outline to whoever is interested (and sometimes to schools that didn't ask) Again-I get alot of requests because I do it for FREE and pay for all my own handouts-kids love handouts-coloring pages for the younger and fact sheets for teachers and parents and older students. You have make the choice of what's right. The most important thing for your own good is to keep everything under control. It can very hard to do with enthuseastic(sp) 1st graders!!!
Well, sorry my note is late-just found this page-have fun. Feel fre to E-mail me at tokay@prolog.net

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Educator Forum ] [ FAQ ]