kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Chinese Water Dragon Cage Question....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Water Dragon and Basilisk Forum ]

Posted by mocha232 on April 21, 2003 at 00:34:38:

In Reply to: Chinese Water Dragon Cage Question.... posted by kevin594 on April 20, 2003 at 01:36:08:

I have the Apogee 260gallon reptarium. It is difficult to keep the humidity up in the winter time but it is VERY humid here in the summer (Southern Ontario, Canada). We are able to keep the temps up in the reptarium with no problem but it requires a lot of heating (100w ceramic heat emitter, 100w Powersun UV, 150w infrared red heat lamp, 150w incandescant spot bulb - this can get costly with the porcelain and ceramic sockets!)we have our electricity included and so don't pay it. We are able to keep the ambient air temp at 87 degrees with no problems-even with the window open, the basking area is around 95 degrees and a cool spot of 75 degrees.

To keep the humidity up Apogee has made softrays for the reptariums generally for holding in deep substrate but if you purchase more for the sides or the back the humidity goes up another 20-40%. We use the reptarium as a tall cage with a softray on the bottom and one on the back which are totally waterproof and prevent spraying your walls through the mesh as well. Before the softrays, the humidity would almost stay at 20% but since adding the 2 softrays when we mist (3-4x a day) it jumps to 70-80% and doesn't drop below 50% for over 2 hours. Again this will still depend on where you live. Also for humidity we have added an ultrasonic fogger which helps a bit as well.

We find ours to be working well for us and our WD loves it as well. I'm sure we will build one down the road but this one is working quite well for us so far.

Hope this helps
Mocha

:I Am New To The Whole Dragon Thing,So I Don't Know Very Much,Im Wondering If One Of Those Appogee Mesh Screen Cages Would Work For My CWD. I Know It Would Be The Bigger Mesh Cage But If So Besides Humidity/Heat Leakage Through Holes What Are Some Of The Downsides Of Having The Mesh Screen Cage?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Water Dragon and Basilisk Forum ]